Thursday, 11 July 2013

Dedicating to the Goddess



On the last new moon, on the Sun's day, I stood beside the river Thames by 'Cleopatra's Needle' with four others and became a Priestess of the Fellowship of Isis. As I have explained from previous posts I have been undergoing training through online correspondence for the last two years now. Distant training is hard because there isn't someone to hold your hand, or prompt you in ritual and meditations. All you have is the arrow to point the way to the printed liturgy, and the rest is between you and Spirit. After doing the 'work', the words of encouragement and advice from my online guide after each rite were valuable in pushing me forward on wards. After two years she decided to meet me in London and ordain me as a Priestess of the FOI.

I dedicated to a primary Goddess and two support Goddesses that day. It took a lot of hard decision making but I feel that I made the right choice - a choice that is always guided by the Goddess Herself/Themselves. You don't just randomly select a Goddess, of simply pick the one you like the look of most; every connection you feel is from Her. When you look at a statue or image of the Goddess (or God) and feel drawn, inspired, and admiration, that is from Her. If you feel that you can relate to the Mother/Huntress/Mage/Crone ect archetype, that is Her energetic pull. Many things can trigger this attraction. You should follow it. It may lead you a short way and teach you what you need to know, before moving you on; it may lead you throughout life. Just listen and follow the ebb and flow.

So on that day (and even before then) I dedicated to the Goddess Nut  (Egyptian), Aphrodite (Greek) and Great Mother (Earth).  I am now a Priestess of these Goddesses. What does this now mean?

Each of the Goddesses have something in common, that links them to the Priesthood of the FOI: The FOI teaches unity, equality and love. No one is higher than another, all are a part of this universe and Divinity and peace and love are promoted. Each of these Goddesses represent this for me and as a Priestess of them and the FOI I believe that I should uphold this attitude. I wish to unite people, promoting peace and understanding; I want to help people to recognise the beauty of this world and each other and help people to love others including themselves; and I want to be creative and express the Goddess's love through my actions, art and rituals.

At this time in my life, Priestesshood is between me and Her. I of course represent the FOI and have a role to play in the community in helping to spread the Goddess's love, but I do not have any higher status than another person. It is my way of expressing my dedication to Her and others may have just as much a connection (or more) but choose to express it differently. As a Priestess I have formally dedicated to Her and this is a very personal thing for me. This is the beginning of a new start for me and I wanted to record it on this blog. 

Blessed Be!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! How wonderful and beautiful :) I watch you on YouTube and have followed your journey so it's great to read about your wonderful achievement. Blessings on your path and on your wonderful accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Olivia! :) I am so happy for you!
    Blessed be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete